COVANCE is a leading global drug development services company and we provide support to the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries.
You can make a difference by helping to deliver life-saving and life-enhancing medicines to people around the world. Our commitment to this mission has resulted in Covance’s impressive history of company stability and growth. We’ve achieved these results by fostering a work environment that encourages, develops and leverages our team’s capabilities. This is your chance to become part of a team that helps to bring miracle of medicine to market sooner.
Due to continued growth Covance is currently seeking an Executive Director, Business Development to join the rapidly expanding global central laboratory services (CLS) team. The remit of the role is to work closely with the Executive Directors of Sales and/or Vice President of Sales and Client Services on client selection strategy, Business Development Director assignment, and account development plans, to manage, train and provide leadership (coaching, mentoring, guiding, challenging, problem solving etc) to assigned Business Development Directors.
This position is home based and successful applicants will be based in Europe and must have fluent English (another language would be an advantage but is not a prerequisite for the role). We are seeking an experienced Business Development Director, with a background in a CRO or a central lab, ideally with lab services selling experience, although we would consider candidates from other scientific backgrounds who have strong leadership skills and experience of clinical trials.
About the Job
• Hires and develops diverse talent for open or new territories.
• Assigns accounts, territories and forecasts individual territory sales goals.
• Delivers order goals for the territory.
• Assists sales team in developing internal and external relationships and identifying new market opportunities.
• Conducts quarterly review of account plans.
• Works closely with sales leaders in other Covance business units to develop joint opportunities and relationships with clients.
• Facilitates negotiation of margin and pricing discussions both internally and externally.
• Manages team performance and feedback providing guidance on development opportunities and action plans.
• Monitors and controls team operating expenses.
• Leads scheduled networking events.
• Functions as an advisor to Business Development Directors, troubleshooting and resolving internal and external issues.
• Facilitates strong internal relationships and communication with operational colleagues.
• Identifies and executes process improvement opportunities.
• Utilizes SalesForce to manage team pipeline, forecast and analyze key sales metrics.
• Develops Business Development Directors coaching/actions plans as needed.
• Gathers and shares market intelligence and competitive information with sales team, peers and marketing.
• Assists with annual sales meeting planning.
• Provides sales reports/updates to Senior Management.
• Supports/assists in developing BU-based global MSAs and preferred provider agreements.
• Bachelors degree in life science or business field preferred; advanced degree preferred
• Advanced industry knowledge
• Demonstrated client retention skills
• Ability to manage difficult client and/or financial situations
• Ability to differentiate Covance from competitors
• Experience developing and executing strategic business plans
• Ability to manage and motivate client facing teams
• Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and presenting to executives and senior levels of the client organization
• Extensive global collaboration experience
• Highly consultative
• Strong customer orientation
• Excellent negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to influence sales decisions
• Demonstrated ability to lead
• Experience managing people
• Experience selling services directly to the pharmaceutical and biotech section with direct interaction with mid-level and executive level decision makers
Covance’s ongoing success offers team members unsurpassed growth and career development opportunities.
At Covance, we help make the miracles of medicine a reality. We offer opportunities to work on diverse, challenging projects with bright, interesting colleagues while building a flexible and rewarding career.
There is no better time to join us!
Covance is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. Your confidentiality and privacy are important to us.
Please submit CVs and cover letters in English
- Bachelors degree in life science or business field preferred; advanced degree preferred
- Advanced industry knowledge
- Demonstrated client retention skills
- Ability to manage difficult client and/or financial situations
- Ability to differentiate Covance from competitors
- Experience developing and executing strategic business plans
- Ability to manage and motivate client facing teams
- Demonstrated leadership experience in leading and presenting to executives and senior levels of the client organization
- Extensive global collaboration experience
- Highly consultative
- Strong customer orientation
- Excellent negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to influence sales decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead
- Experience managing people
10+ years sales (or relevant) experience in a leadership role selling services directly to the pharmaceutical and biotech section with direct interaction with mid-level and executive level decision makers
Demonstrated supervisory experience in a sales environment.